Wednesday, May 13, 2020 – 8:30 AM.
An online discussion between Iowa Music Educators, the Iowa High School Music Association (IHSMA) , and our special guest, Dr. James Weaver, National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS), Director of Fine Arts.
None of the discussion contained within this recorded conversation should be construed as “guidance” for a Return to Learn Plan for music education but rather it is a sharing of ideas and of where each of the respective entities are at with regard to our own current understanding of research. This discussion is also a sharing of what research is being proposed, timelines for that research, and a sharing of anticipated guidance that will be forthcoming from NFHS in partnership with the National Association for Music Education, from the Iowa Department of Education, and from IHSMA.
Other related resources cited in/or related to discussion:
- Webinar hosted by the Barbershop Harmony Society, NATS, ACDA, Chorus America, and the Performing Arts Medicine Association
- Resources from the Iowa Department of Education
- COVID-19 Guidance and Information
- Return to Learn Guidance (schools must submit their plan to IDOE by July 1, 2020)
- Guidance Document presented to school administrators on Friday, May 8, 2020
- Support Document (optional companion document – more detailed) – also presented on Friday, May 8, 2020 to school administrators (note specifically the language on pages 19-25 and the need to adhere to Iowa Academic Standards). Fine Arts Education is a part of those standards.
- Cares Act Funding document