1. To foster and perpetuate music as an art form and an essential component of the secondary school curriculum;
2. To organize and regulate festivals that assure fairness and equity and also stimulate students to their greatest possible potential;
3. To establish criteria and standards for musical performances that insures the musical/educational integrity of Iowa high school music programs;
4. To encourage member participation in Association-sponsored events, assuring all participants of a nonbiased evaluation of their performances;
5. To develop programs that bring due recognition to outstanding musicians and performances;
6. To provide musical opportunities that will enrich the lives of high school students and aid in the development of a life-long appreciation of music.